Forgotten Marches
Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons! This is a site for those that are not able to sit at the table with us, but would love to roleplay with us. On here, we roleplay 3.5, but don't be afraid to join us even if you don't know how to roleplay this edition. We have several Dungeon Masters on here willing to help you learn!
Forgotten Marches
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the world of Dungeons and Dragons! Make yourself at home and enjoy the ride!

HomeRegisterLog in

Returning home- Tangled Trees

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Level : 2(ECL3)
Alignment : Chaotic Good

Character Sheet
Class: Duskblade
Prestige Class:
Player Name: Yazuki Yoshino

Returning home- Tangled Trees Empty
PostSubject: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 pm

As the teleportation ended, bringing him back to Cormanthor a short distance from home, Yazuki let out a heaving sigh. The bounty he had gone to had been mentally exhausting, but he was glad that he had convinced the town to accept the sorcerer for who he was. He strolled around until he found some trees that looked familiar and began his trek home. He knew why he had taken everything so personal. Enkindle had been treated like an outkast, almost in a similar way while they were growing up. He blended in to the elves thanks to his dragon blood, but hers was more potent. Hers was different.

His mind wandered back to when she first came to Tangled Trees. He was once again walking that same path that she was coming up. She was about 4 years old when the man Yazuki called dad brought her here, asking for their help. He pleaded with them to take Enkindle and teach her the ways of the druid. Her mind was dark back then, her intelligence obvious, yet there was something deeper. She wanted to just be accepted. She wanted to be loved. That fateful day, they met and became attached quickly. She helped him become who he is, and he? He helped her understand why being a druid was worth it.

He noticed one of the rangers up in a tree as he continued his stroll, a smirk coming to his face. The ranger smirked back, knowing what Yazuki's strutting meant. He dropped down to join him.

"That look. Who did you get to bend down and bow before you this time?" Dara asked as he started to try and match Yazuki's stride.

"A couple parents who blamed a misfit for their own shortcomings. They had it coming to them. Took a little... shock therapy, but I think they see it my way now." Yazuki's smirk turned to a broad toothy smile. "You know exactly how I feel about that!"

Dara chuckled and shook his head, his elven ears bouncing as his steps were a little springy from trying to keep up with Yazuki's stride. "Yeah, you can say that again. Feels like just yesterday when you first met someone with a similar issue. Remember when Enkindle bit you and roared thinking that was how she was supposed to greet you? I couldn't stop laughing."

Yazuki's mind drifted back to that day, shortly after the harvest season. The first time he had seen those emerald eyes, those horns and the ridge down the center of her head. The sounds and the smells coming back to him as he stood still for a moment, closing his eyes to lose himself in the memory.
Back to top Go down
Kindle

Level : 1
Alignment : Alignment

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 12:21 am

Memories stretched for years and far back as she could recall she'd been different from even her own twin sister. Lura sported only scales resembling freckles anywhere her clothing didn't cover. Enkindle was a direct opposition with scales covering to her elbow's in addition to reaching right above her knee's, both limbs slightly morphed until the scales faded out with deadly claws tipping them. Such features may have been livable if she didn't have more than just those small quirks, but she did.

Even within Tangled Tree's the odd girl didn't exactly feel safe tending to stick to the edges furthest from her birth village. Just because she'd flourished as an existence here it had not always stopped every bully or frightened villager from making attempts when Yazuki was absent. Currently she'd been taking a nap up on one of the tree branches in a nearby tree. Enkindle wanted to visit Lura and her father but it was just too dangerous without 'big bro' to accompany her.

All that was visible of the girl was her thick scale covered tail hanging down from the foliage she napped in. "Nmmm." A sleepy noise escaping her throat elfin ears twitched as she heard chattering nearby one of the voices more familiar than other's. "Big Bro?!" the part elf shot up her horns hitting the branch above her leaving scratches in it as she used her sharp claws to scale face first down the tree like many animals did. Righting herself at the bottom she looked around her crest slightly crooked in her fly away hair from her nap.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 12:53 am

As Yazuki stood there for a few moments he heard an all to familiar voice, and he opened his eyes with a smile. He yawned a bit with a smile and stretched, looking around until he noticed his literally little sister. The one thing that made him stand out here more than anything was his height, being tall even for a human at 6'4", he stood heads above almost everyone in the village. "Yeah, I am back Emky. The mission was actually quite entertaining this time! I got to go into a wizard's tower and meet a kid sorcerer who had some issues communicating. I was supposed to kill him but found out that he was just misunderstood. The village deals with him now, I knocked some sense into them and lectured them for a good couple days until they gave in." He laughed slightly with a smirk. "Denied the money again too. Was worth seeing the village just accept him."

He began to walk over to her, swallowing the distance with easy, large steps. He placed his hands on top of his head, his hair still held up by a little static in his classic double top pigtails. Stopping shortly in front of her he inspected her to see how she was doing. He had been away now for close to 3 days, and he knew he had to finish the rest of the journey to the Council Seat to report. "I promised you I would be back."
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 1:17 am

While her elder brother was a giant among men the half bred was easily able to be regarded as a runt for both sides of her blood. Enkindle stood at four foot seven inches though both horns and crest came far above this plus her tail was also seemingly too long for her small body. The pointed teeth inside of her mouth also nearly appeared too big for her too if someone looked at them long enough.

"It's good that can happen sometimes."

Her voice was slightly distant speaking the words because no amount of threats were going to fix her situation. Enkindle didn't even really understand why they hated her so much, not really anyway. Certainly, she understood how different she looked to them and that certain 'civilized' things had not been as innate to her but she was still.. "How long are you staying?" They were never going to accept her in the absence of someone capable of making them and she couldn't bear doing it herself. "Can we go visit them soon?" Lura came to visit her sometimes, so did father, but they had lives back in the village and rarely could anymore these days. "They haven't been back since a bit before you left." Normally she didn't mind the two staying away for subtle lengths of time when he was around. Those days she had her brother, but when he was absent the distance they had to keep to help the village 'forget' she existed, hurt.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 1:37 am

Yazuki paused and raised his eyebrow for a moment, his smile vanishing. He knew what life was like here for her. The sorcerer didn't seem too far off from what he dealt with on a daily basis. He had to be strong and protective, and it was in his nature. A slight frown touched the edges of his lips as he crouched down so that he was level with Enkindle. He knew that she had a bit of separation anxiety and felt that she was only welcome in the village while he was here, something he feared she would never get over. "We can go in the morning after I get back to the Council to report back. It takes a few days to get there, so you know I will have to take some extra shifts after we get back."

He let out a deep sigh, knowing that he would begrudgingly would have to work for a few more weeks before he would get a break if they went tomorrow. He bent over backwards at times to keep her from falling back into the darkness that he had to drag her out from when she was a child. After he thought about it, their old man hadn't come around for almost a week before he left. While their father and sister didn't visit regularly, they usually received something. A letter, word from a passer through, something...

"You sure we didn't get a letter or something? Usually we get something..."

His mind raced a bit before settling down. It was probably nothing and he was probably just imagining the worst. He stood back up as he awaited her reply. She was still as dependent on him as ever. He was the only one who actually understood how she felt, having strong draconic features on his hands as they were bronze scaled with retracting claws in his knuckles.
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 1:47 am

Scaled knuckles rubbing slightly against each other before her claws met each others tips in front of her chest the girl sighed softly. "No letters." Which was odd because even the times Luna couldn't come due social reasons her twin still sent a letter with their father. Much less both of them going so long without seeing or hearing from her. Enkindle knew they both were terrified that one day a villager was going to take their hatred too far because to them she was a monster not another person; A worry she shared. However, they'd never stayed away like this before.

"Now that I stop napping long enough to really think about it.." Concern, true concern began to sink in as she thought about what she'd encountered in wandering more specifically what she hadn't found. "Almost no disturbances in the woods towards the village have existed lately, almost as if most of the village has been staying out of the woods more than normal." Often their were rules due to the fear of the 'monster' in the woods, but still even they knew she tended to stay far away as she could. Enkindle had never seen such little sign of distance around the edges before.

It was easier to nap away the time she was alone, particularly because her green scales provided good camouflage when she wasn't moving.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 2:04 am

His blood ran cold at her words. He tried to stay stoic but his fists were clenched and his claws were revealed. Something was wrong and he did not have time to go back to Tangled Trees. His breathing was a little irregular and Dara stepped up.

"Yazu, go. I will deal with the Council and report what's going on. Enkindle is right, now that I think about it my job has been really easy this week. It doesn't bode well." Dara nodded at them both and grabbed his bow from his back as he spoke, "Report back as quickly as you can, but for now, I will inform the Council that you took it as a need to protect Tangled Trees. May the goddesses carry you on the wind." With those words, Dara quickly disappeared into the distance with deft but elegant haste.

Yazuki nodded back and looked down at his little sister. "Let's make haste. Hopefully everything is fine, but be on your guard. Claws out Emky. You never know what we will find." He turned to face the south as he prepared to begin sprinting towards Hap, the town to the south where the man he called dad lived. He wasn't his real father, but he was the man who raised him for the most part, paying for him to live in the town of Tangled Trees. He always took care of Emky, Luna and himself, and he didn't have any memories of anyone else being his parent. His hair and skin helped him blend in, but his built body, height and lack of pointy ears made it sure that he was also looked at slightly weird. The copper dragon and bronze dragon bloodlines in him were to thank for him at least looking similar, but he was still a human, and he was cursed with heights that were not common among his comrades in the Council Special Guard.

He turned to look down at his little sister, trying to stay strong for her but shaking. This wasn't like their dad to do this. This wasn't like Luna to not send a letter. He hoped that when they arrived it would all be a fluke. Maybe someone came to visit and they lost track of time? A diplomat stopped by and needed shown around. Surely it was something trivial...
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 2:29 am

She hadn't wanted to deal with the hatred directed at her mere existence. Enkindle had spent every time she woke to find nothing letting herself believe Dara was just working harder than normal. However, at the ranger's words paranoia about what was going on settled in for the girl. What if something serious had happened and she could have helped if only she'd been braver about confronting the village?!

Yazu spoke about keeping her claws out and she lifted one nearly talon tipped hand. "As if they retract like yours to begin with." Maybe they did but the girl had never been able to make them do so. Her biting comment was easily seen through as an attempt to mask her fear that her avoidance had cost the village valuable time in crisis. "Hopefully we won't need violence." Of course, with her involved and the way most of the village had treated her from day one, that may be unlikely. It was why their dad and Luna came to them.

In spite of their shared hope of this being trivial as they went along a sense of urgency rose. When they crossed the threshold of where Enkindle normally wandered in his absence panic rose when even that part of the woods seemed untouched lately. The half bred dropped down to all fours her anatomy causing her to lack an arch in her back that was present in most humanoids in such position. Her tail quickly straightened out to full length to aid further in her balance allowing her to run and maneuver better than she could on only her legs. "This isn't right, someone should have thrown a rock or something at me by now." Most of the time she avoided running like this too close to the village because it alarmed the villagers, but it only now served to worsen her worry.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 2:40 am

Yazuki took off with a fury as Emky took off at the same time, knowing his stride would outpace her a little bit, but she was keen enough to keep up. He smiled slightly at her words, knowing she was trying to hide what she was truly feeling and knowing what they were heading into was surely going to be an issue even if nothing had happened. The villagers despised them both, especially since Yazuki preferred to beat the kids they grew up with to a pulp if they even sneered at his little sister. It had always been that way though. She was technically stronger than him, though her small frame betrayed the notion. However, he defended her often, knowing she hated confrontation. She got along better with the forest animals than she did with humanoids.

As she got down on all fours, he sped up, knowing that now she was going to be at full stride. That determination made him tense more himself. He looked around slightly as she talked, agreeing that something was up. They had covered easily a couple miles in the past few minutes and not a sign of anyone? It was early afternoon, the townsfolk were usually gathering woods around here as this was a great place to get wood that fell naturally. "Just another 6 or so miles. It's quiet... where are the birds?" he pointed out, glancing around as he ran full force.
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 2:50 am

As he spoke the severity felt emotionally by her became clear. The girl who would normally meander slightly for an 'easier' path didn't stop for anything! Large fallen tree that wasn't entirely new was in their path ahead but when she reached it instead of wandering around in some way she leaped from several feet back landing past it. Often she liked to keep her strength hidden even when forced to confrontation because it terrified the few villagers who got to see it outside of their family. Right now, she didn't really care who got scared or disturbed seeing her actual physical ability, something was wrong. "The forest is far too quiet for how undisturbed it is." They couldn't deny it anymore.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 3:00 am

He picked up speed as he now had the adrenaline boost his fear was providing him. He couldn't help but feel that the worst was now truly possible. As he jumped over fallen trees and sprinted as fast as he could, he noticed that Emky for the first time was matching his stride without problem now. It was good to know she was in just as much of a hurry as he was as they came to the clearing just on the outskirts of town. The entire town was silent. No one was in the street. Pure silence. He stood awestruck with fear for a moment. There was no denying it now, something had happened here and people were either hiding or missing entirely. He looked over to Emky worriedly, concern on his face for the first time in years. He didn't like showing her concern. He was her rock and her comfort. Right now, however, something was very wrong. His legs were stuck as he tried to move towards the cabin but he couldn't move. He felt his clothing tickle a bit as he looked down. He was... trembling. His cocky fascade could not help him right now. Everything he knew could be gone, save Emky at this moment and his anxiety was getting the better of him.
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2020 12:16 pm

It was difficult to see him trembling like that when he'd done his best to be nothing short of a rock their entire life. Normally, she'd be frozen in place more than him due to having adjusted her life to face a threat she couldn't fight herself. Today was different. Remaining on all fours she rushed for the house she'd originally started growing up in, a few windows that had been opened shuttering. At least the town wasn't dead, but that made it more concerning that no one was taking the opportunity to express how unwelcome she was verbally or violently. "Luna, Daddy?!" Sharp claws scratched slightly at the door as she forgot the concept of knocking, simply wanting them to be home, be alright, and let her in!
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2020 12:17 pm

He slowly walked over to the door as Emky scratched at the door. He looked around noticing none of the villagers were even going to come out and hurl insults towards her. This was far from normal. They had hated her for several reasons. One being that her mother was a green dragon that had attacked the town. The other was that they just couldn't get over how bizarre she looked to them. And the other... His mind drifted monentarily.

"Yazu, using your claws... your claws are much less effective than a sword." Dara scolded the 7 year old Yazuki. He had stayed with Dara for the past 5 years, dad only coming around when he could. He knew he had sisters but still had yet to meet them. He spent most of his days learning from the High wizards or training to fight with Dara. " The sword allows distance. Your claws get you in too close."

Yazuki sighed as he picked up the sword begrudgingly. His claws were just... so much easier to use. Every time he used the sword, Dara had the upper hand, but when he used his claws he could almost evenly match the elf. This was Dara's favorite pass time with him, and had been for the past 3 years since he was first a le to hold a sword.

Yazuki and Dara stopped sparring as their ears heard a twig snap. They instantly went on high alert, yazuki dropping his sword and once again allowing his claws to slide out. Dara stayed alert but let out a hefty sigh. "Really Yazu? Really?"
"What? You know I fight better this way..." he smirked and stood confident and cocky. "These things are my greatest weapon." The looked on ahead, waiting as two figures came into the clearing.
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 5:03 pm

The forest was soft beneath her claws and as she moved the girl was careful as she reasonably could be to not cause damage. However, she had something very important to get done so the crested female could not go too slowly today. "Enkindle?!" A mans voice filled the forest as he shouted for his middle child, since her twin was born second. Yet, he received no reply as the young girl prowled deeper with the large stuffed object clutched in her jaws. The girl who had been called for was heading to her 'lair' a place where she had started stashing her 'hoard' that had began and grown from her recent antics.

Stumbling through the bushes the ranger was panting, while he was a trained adventurer his daughter had gotten an exceptional head start this time. "Oh, Dagda, and my boy Yazu!" His hands fell to his knee's as the brown haired man breathed deeply once to catch his breathe. "I could really use some help. Enkindle is somewhere in the forest and I have to get her back and the toy she took from another village kid in a rigged deal back from her." And maybe the other stolen toys his daughter had too, she had started hiding them somewhere in the woods since he had to return them if he found them in the house. "Parents are already upset as the boy is covered in bee stings, no matter that they can't teach him to not bully her." This was going on the tenth time his daughter had done this to another kid in the last two months. Taking advantage of the natural competitiveness and 'you must be wrong' of pure humans to push other kids who normally would just beat her up into beating themselves up for her. Only it wasn't helping.

Meanwhile the girl had finally reached her little dug out cave that she'd carved with her own claws beneath a fallen log and some bushes. One clawed hand laying atop of her newest prize the girl curled up laying her horned head upon her tail and letting her crest lay against the ground. A well earned nap.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2020 12:42 am

Yazuki smiled as he saw his dad come into view "Pa...." he trailed off into a determined nod hearing him speak. His excitement could wait. He started to look around, bot sure what he was looking for. Was she like him? Maybe she smelled like him. He took in a deep breath. Nothing. He strolled a ways away to a fallen tree that looked like it could have been the den for a creature, but shrugged. There was not too much to see. He grinned smugly as he got an idea. If it worked, he realized, he'd be able to play with his sister for the first time.

"Look," he said allowed, knowing the other two had split in other directions. "If you are around here, I can just say I found you without the toy. I'll even help you hide them in a different location quick. I am your big brother after all. Us kids have to stick together!"

He looked around for any sign of movement, hoping she would be in the area. He leaned against the fallen tree patiently.

Meanwhile, Dara went off back towards the village in case she had doubled back towards the village. He hated when his brother volunteered him for stuff. Last time he said "Anything you need," he ended up having to attend to Yazuki. The kid was growing on him, admittedly. Yazuki had been blessed with just the right skin tone, hair and eyes to fit in quite nicely. His draconic attributes were the only oddity, but elves love magic and it was a treat for them to teach someone so gifted with a strong draconic bloodline. He stopped up a tree, looking off in all directions, just to see what his elven eyes could see...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Returning home- Tangled Trees   Returning home- Tangled Trees I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Returning home- Tangled Trees
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next