Forgotten Marches
Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons! This is a site for those that are not able to sit at the table with us, but would love to roleplay with us. On here, we roleplay 3.5, but don't be afraid to join us even if you don't know how to roleplay this edition. We have several Dungeon Masters on here willing to help you learn!
Forgotten Marches
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the world of Dungeons and Dragons! Make yourself at home and enjoy the ride!

HomeRegisterLog in

Unsatisfying Wishes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kindle

Level : 1
Alignment : Alignment

Unsatisfying Wishes Empty
PostSubject: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 3:08 am

It hadn't taken long of her scratching until Luna had let them in with a solemn look. She'd merely stood aside gesturing the pair of them in swiftly as she could before closing the door and using every lock on it. All the windows were shuttered as if to ensure no one could peer in. Quickly, the reason became clear as in the corner of the room was their father laid out on a makeshift cot beside the kitchen.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you two first." She could barely hear her twin past the sight of their father not even twitching beneath the thick blanket atop him. "Take the time you need, I have to finish packing. It's father's wish." Packing? Why would Luna be packing her things up! Father would never kick her twin out and the girl wasn't instantly ready to confront the truth plain in front of them.

On all fours she scrambled over, sharp claws catching slightly on the blanket as she shook him slightly. "My little kindling?" The half dragon only made a noise in response shoving her cheek against the elf's hand. "Did Yazuki come with you? Boy, come closer, please, it's important." His voice was so soft it almost wasn't present but the coughing fit that followed his words was larger than he.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Level : 2(ECL3)
Alignment : Chaotic Good

Character Sheet
Class: Duskblade
Prestige Class:
Player Name: Yazuki Yoshino

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Yazuki stood, pale as though he had seen a ghost as Enkindle scratched at the door. His breaths were labored as the air felt sickening around him. Their dad was always neat and tidy, however the source of his fright was beside the house as he had walked up towards her, the wood unclipped for days, as if it were gathered yet not finished. The water barrel was not half full. Their dad always had it filled from the well every night. As he looked around at the houses, everyone shutting their windows and hiding, the unease had set into his stomach. He didn't have memories of his real parents, and he never really told Enkindle that they weren't fully related, but there across the street, he saw the abandoned building that had never been rebuilt. He stood, staring as Kindle scratched at the door.

The door finally opened and he snapped back to reality, watching as the house swallowed Enkindle's frame into itself. His legs felt heavy, his arms just... hanging to his sides. What was this feeling of dread? He finally forced himself to step into the door and any remaining color he had was gone as his eyes fell in the corner of the kitchen. He couldn't breathe. His body just wouldn't react. What had happened? Elves live outstandingly long lives, and he knew for a fact their father was far from that point of worry. His ears almost tuned out to anything anyone else was saying. He was in such shock, he barely realized his claws had instinctually came out on their own, as if to war with the hurt he was feeling.How did this happen?

As he heard their dad speak, his heart sank further than ever before. He tried to muster his strength, and took a few large shaky steps forward, kneeling down. His whole body shook, not what he could do. The coughing fit jarred his ears as though he was hearing the pits of hell open and all life was being threatened. "I... I'm...." he took a heavy, deep breath. "I'm here..."
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 7:18 pm

Thought faltered as the realization that her father felt like he was on fire struck the half dragon. While the elf had never been a cold man right now it felt like she was trying to keep her hands on an actual fire! "My little kindling, go and help your sister pack for a few minutes." Reluctance was clear on her face but the steely look in her father's glassy eyes eventually subdued her to obedience. Enkindle vanished into the room she and Luna once shared to help her sister pack for whatever she was packing for.

Much as he wished to the auburn haired man was unable to push himself up to get closer to his son. "My brave boy." His breath was labored and clearly he struggled for every single one of them. "You're smart and I'm sure you know of what I dislike discussing with you." He'd never lied to Yazuki the boy was his son just as the twins were his daughters but he had also had not ever enjoyed the idea of discussing how that came to be; Particularly after the twins were born. It was understandable considering the scar it still left on the humans. "Just know, it's never mattered to me, I've always loved you the same my son and I know what I'm about to ask of you is the most unfair thing I've ever asked of you." If he could have raised Yazuki alongside the twins in this house he would have. However, circumstance had not been kind to any of his three children.

Coughing once more it took him several minutes before the sullen elf could speak again. "You've enough life experience to realize what my condition means." He already virtually smelled like the death that was creeping in to claim him. "Luna will be safe with Dara and the other elves." The village barely cared about the younger twin most of them treating her like just another elf. "The humans could never face a dragon but-" His gaze lingered to the door of the room where Luna and Enkindle were currently. Any sense made the implication clear, they couldn't go after a dragon but they could hunt down Enkinle and without him here they would. Once they started, they'd never stop, she'd never live in peace again and the darkness would return for her. "I need you to take her before that time comes. Take her, run, don't stop until you're sure she'll be safe and have a better life than she ever could here." Weakly he would lift his arms in an attempt to pull his son down for the weakest hug he'd ever been able to give.

The dying elf knew what he was asking wasn't fair to Yazuki the boy was young himself. Yet, his son was the only one he could trust with this in so many ways.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2020 2:26 am

Yazuki noticed his dad wanted to be closer and as such, gently brought the man into his arms and listened to him talk, the tears welling in his eyes as his chin trembled. He closed his eyes nodding when prompted, unable to keep his emotions in check very well. His normal stoic self was falling away. He knew that this wasn't natural for an elf to get this sick, or at least, Luna should have gotten sick too, but right now the man who showed him how to track, the man who taught him his survival skills, and the man who was truly the only parent he knew was dying in his arms. He looked down at the man, stroking his cheek and rocking back and forth. "Don' worry," he chocked through sobs, nodding frantically, "I 'I'll take care," he sharply inhaled in a wavering voice, "Of Emky. Jus'," he lost his composure for a moment, taking sharp and short, raspy breaths. "Rest."

His whole body was shaking, his head light as his face tingled from the anxiety creeping over him. He usually always stayed as stoic as possible, with a smirk of  confidence that seemed so strong. He never foresaw anything like this. This shattered his whole facade. He then thought of Enkindle. She had never seen him cry. He always stayed so strong for her, always being her safety net. He tried to bring himself to terms as he held his father in his last moments. He didn't know how he was supposed to deal with this. This had time be a nightmare. He just wanted to... wake up, and see it was all a dream.

As his dad's last breath came from his lungs an eerie calm came over Yazuki. He sat there, sniffing from his stuffed nose. All he could do was look at the man laying in his arms, now unmoving. He placed his forehead to his dad's. A lone tear followed the already wet streak down his left cheek. "I promise..."
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2020 10:37 pm

She had vanished into the room for several minutes. The entire time Enkindle pretended as if years in the woods had left her with less understanding of what was going on. It would be easier on father if he could believe such a thing, easier for Luna to go where she needed to as well.

Pretending with the smile how she was towards Luna wasn't easy so the girl took to using her extra features to help carry more things to the bed for packing. It was odd to see the room they had shared as small children so barren as Luna always kept it filled to the brim. This would be the last time she saw this room but if she cried about it than Luna would know of her being well aware of how bad this really was. Bright green eyes mirroring her own looked back. "Sis, I know it's not easy to understand, but you're leaving this place." Blinking with large eyes the half dragon let her sister believe that it wasn't simple for her to understand why she was being sent away. "I want you to take this with you." It was one of the better cloaks in Luna's wardrobe and it confused her twin as to why she wanted to give her that out of all things. "Only this place knows you, wearing it could give you a fighting chance on interacting with others in the places you encounter traveling and when you're not in a town or such big brother can keep hold of it for you." draping the cloak over her Luna tied it carefully around her neck letting it fall closed before pulling the hood up. Enkindle let her lead her over to the mirror in the corner of the room eyes widening at the reflection. "See? Fits perfectly, you can talk to other people without them judging you by the dragon in you first. Although, your crest makes the hood awful pointy." Luna was crying as she laughed, quickly hugging her twin and burying her face in Enkindle's chest where the older girl simply held her younger twin sister.

Once Luna was done crying Enkindle helped her up and picked up most of the boxes that had been packed. Although neither of them were exactly physically weak, she'd often do stuff like this for her little sister. "Big brother?" Luna would speak up, poking out from behind her elder sister as they came back into the room. The middle child was just trying to detach, disassociate from her emotions right now so she wouldn't go spewing acid anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2020 2:34 am

Yazuki sat silently. His tears were done for the moment. His mind raced as he sat there. What was the explaination... He laid his father's head down and sighed, his breath stuttering still from the crying fit from earlier. He looked over at his father's outfit and armor. They were around the same height and build, and his father had spent a pretty copper on it. He wasn't going to let it sit there and collect dust. He came to his feat and began disproving while the girls were packing, taking his own armor off. He put on the armor slowly, letting his mind slightly detach so that he could try to be stronger for the other two. He had a mission to protect them, at all costs now, and he wasn't going to deny the man's last wishes. In fact, he would do better, and always surpass, just as his dad had taught them.

As he finished the last bit of putting his father's armor on, he began putting on his traveler's outfit as well. It was far more ornate than his own, and brought out the eyes and hair color of Yazuki in a striking way. He went over to the mirror and looked. 'Can't you tell he is mine? I mean, he looks just like me.' As he remembered his dad's words, tears streaked down his face once again. Their hair. Their height. Their eyes. They were all similar enough. His ears just weren't pointed. He looked over at his weapons on the ground and his armor. That armor was the sign of his post, his sworn duty. It died here today. He no longer could honor his post that he had taken such pride in getting. It was a chore and a half for a human to be taught magic by a member of the council. It was even harder to end up as a Protector of the Trees. He sighed, realizing that the life he had chosen was now over. He had to start over, and he had to find a way to do so. He walked over to his dad's room and looked around. It didnt take long to find the bow. He quickly put on the quiver and put the bow around it to carry as he looked through whatever else was there. He came across one thing that shocked him. There were three boxes, all labeled. Enkindle. Luna. Yazuki.

He opened his box, which was decently sized to find a pair of gauntlets that were masterfully crafted, but more so customized to Yazu's claws. He stood there shocked as be slowly took then out and put them on. They were a perfect fit. The slots for his claws, he noticed as he extended them from his knuckles, were exact. He looked at them in wonder, before grabbing the other two boxes and heading to the kitchen again. He began to dress his dad in Yazuki's guard armor, and placed the sword in his dad's hands. He crouched back down beside his dad, a few more tears letting loose. He was parched from all this. He reached over towards the bucket of water to take a drink, but a sickly sweet aroma hit his nose and he froze as his sisters walked back into the room. "Luna... has anyone else in town gotten sick?" He knew half dragons had better constitutions than most, but he quickly dashed over to her, checking to make sure she was ok. "Are you alright? Is the whole village like this or just Dad?" There was a new worried sound to his voice. The one thing that was unmistakable was his face though. For the first time ever, there were tear stains. For the first time ever, their brother... was not smiling or confident. He was worried.
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Enkindle watched as Luna met him halfway as he dashed over to check on her twin. What was her sister going for over there? "Why would anyone else have gotten sick?" It was cute that her sister often underestimated how bad things like this could be. Honestly, it made the fact she was supposed to be the 'naive' one hilarious. "Father isn't irresponsible we both stopped really going out when he got sick and the others began staying inside more when we did." She was trying to ignore what she now knew was a corpse laying on his cot, imagining he was just sleeping for the moment. Enkindle needed all her strength until they left and she couldn't do that acknowledging his death right now.

"You two ran all the way here, right?" emerald green eyes watched as Luna dipped cups into the bucket of water, setting one down for herself before offering the two of them one each. "It's probably wise to drink so you don't get feint. Plus, the water is really sweet!" Enkindle took the cup from her sister not exactly thirsty considering the ghost in the room but she did sip at it. Disappointing Luna was not on her agenda ever. Of course, it was going to be hard to pick her twins boxes back up off the floor and now two more boxes lay in the kitchen.

Than, her twin uttered words she was sure all of them would rather not think about. "It's probably best for the elves to bury him." Looking at her sisters lost face was heartbreaking but the horned girl remained silent for the moment. "But, we should send uncle for him, if we carry him out with us they may-" Luna cut herself off but the way her eyes shifted, Enkindle could pick up the hint easily. If the villagers knew father had passed for sure they may attack her on sight. Moving Luna's things could mean many things but carrying his body would give the certainty that Yazuki was the only thing standing between them and her life ending.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2020 3:10 am

Yazuki touched Luna's forehead as she met him. Nothing. A look of horror came across his face as he watched her grab water for then and quickly batted away at it when Enkindle tried to take a sip, not quite sure he could make it in time as he did so. "It's poisoned!" He exclaimed  he wracked his brain for a moment, thinking of what would cause these side effects. He let out a air as his cheeks puffed from the air they were holding. He was starring off into the corner, his mind deep in thought. He listened to her talking, but shook his head. He looked over to Enkindle. "Take the boxes outside. These two have your names on them they come too. Grab whatever else you need. This will ne the last time you see this place Luna so take a good look." He had made up his mind as he went outside.

His first stop was the barrel of water, where he plunged his arms in and tried to find out if there was something. His fingers found purchase as a tink was felt and he grabbed a small vial and pulled it out. His eyes widened, and his nostrils flaired. These bottles were often used by the drow. Since the Red Dragon had attacked Tangled Trees and they had been attempting to rebuild,  the drow had become a problem as they tried to take the spot shortly after the attack almost ten years ago. These bottles were often used for acid flasks and poisons to throw at people. They were highly concentrated and deadly when injested. He threw it on the ground looking at the forest as he went to the next water barrel at the nearest neighbor. No smell. He tasted it with the ladle. Nothing. 

He clenched his fists as he went back over to the house and looked at the logs for a moment. He started picking them up and taking then inside setting them in a recctangular pattern. He made sure it was Sturdy as the girls moved the stuff out of the house. Once he was finished he looked over at his dad. He walked over and kneeled beside him and prayed to Lurue. Tears once again followed the channels that were still pronounced on his cheeks as he finished. He lifted his dad up and repositioned him upon the wood stack, which held.
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2020 2:16 am

Perhaps telling the half dragon that the water had been poisoned wasn't the best idea. Now, she'd have to live with that and all the reasons she'd imagine could be someones motive to do such. Most of them involved her. Luna didn't give Enkindle long to think about it picking up the two boxes their brother had pointed out. "I think I'm good. Sis, take these too." Adding those boxes to the stack which her sister had been carrying she quickly grabbed another box knocking some other things into it. Just stuff from the rest of the house that she wanted to keep, two boxes in total.

"Lets go Enkindle." Silence had fallen over the cloak covered half dragon, expression partly hidden by the shadow of the hood. Enkindle was silent carrying most of her sisters boxes following her out of the house. After a few houses passed she glanced back to see if their big brother would follow them.
Back to top Go down
Yazuki Yoshino

Yazuki Yoshino

Character Sheet
Prestige Class:

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2020 1:19 am

Yazuki took one last look at his dad, knowing what he was about to do next would distract the village enough that Enkindle and himself could get away, but he hoped it would not cause harm to the other houses in the village. As he stepped, he took a look at the house he had grown to know as home. The house that, though he rarely visited, it always was a place he could come and hide from the world. He let out a sigh as once more tears followed the stained riverbeds on his face. He raised his hands, placing one over the other, palms facing each other as fire fluttered between them, with a few more gestures and whispered words, he lifted his hands into a familiar pose and blew air between the gap as the fire rush forth from them and his the side of the house. He went to the other side of the house and did the same, ensuring it would catch fire. Without wasting a moment, he used swift Expeditious Retreat a few times as villagers came out to deal with the fire over to his sisters. "We should go while they are distracted."
Back to top Go down
Kindle

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2020 12:32 pm

Seeing her brother throw the matches Enkindle quickly chose to look away. It would be so much harder for him to be strong if he was aware she truly knew how bad this was. For the moment she'd just have to focus on carrying Luna's things than helping her sister briefly settle in. After that the half dragon knew what came next well as she knew herself to possess draconic features. With Yazuki or on her own she'd have to leave this place because it would never be safe again. Right now, it felt like she'd never be able to find safety anywhere ever again. "Yes big brother." her words responded to his in her normal tone but inside it was numb. She'd never done anything to deserve this and yet here she was essentially an orphan and homeless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unsatisfying Wishes   Unsatisfying Wishes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unsatisfying Wishes
Page 1 of 1